Tuesday, November 18, 2008

sign of the times

I have been really conflicted about my direction in college. I mean I know that I have a lot of time to decide what I want to do in life but I'm wondering how I am going to decide on a career path when I can not even decide what courses to take next semester. I've been playing around a lot with the Venus schedule thing and I realized that it is not possible for me to take all of the classes that I want to take. I really want to take an Anthropology course next semester. I went to an advisor earlier and asked a lot of questions and it seems like something that I would like to look into. Unfortunately I will not be able to take ANTH240 next semester because it conflicts with the economics class that I have to take to be in the government major. This just figures really... the two subjects that I am torn between conflict immediately. I could wait until the fall to take anthropology but I have a problem. In order to double degree I would have to decide on the second degree by the end of the spring semester in order to stay on track...so should I take the anthropology class and hold off on the economics until the fall? I have no idea. I'm not a terribly superstitious person but on my welcome screen for the internet an article popped up about finding the oldest example of a nuclear family... was this a sign to take anthropology? Maybe.
To be honest I don't know what will make me happiest in life. I was talking with my brother today at lunch about jobs and majors and stuff. I told him that truthfully the place that I could really see myself is owning a little shop or my own business... maybe my college career is really just for the experiences. I don't know. I'm just speculating. As far as next semester goes, I really shouldn't take it too seriously. Whether I double degree or double major or whatever, it does't matter as long as I choose subjects that will genuinely make me happy instead of majors that will provide the greatest possible monetary gain.

No comments: