Saturday, October 11, 2008

Hey Jude

"Hey Jude don't make it bad, take a sad song and make it better, remember to let her into your heart, then you can start to make it better..." I went to Santa Fe last night to see the Beatles cover band, The Mahoney Brothers. It was a great night. I went with my two friends and I knew a few guys that were going. The opening bands were decently good but the Beatles cover band was really good, it almost sounded pre-recorded. The band members looked like they were in their late 50s which was kind of eerie but it didn't detract from the sound. They changed after a set of songs to depict the outfits for the era of songs which really added to the mood. My sister and her friends came too which made the night interesting. I ended up dancing the whole night and overall just having a really good time. If I had to rank all of my music from favorite to least favorite, the Beatles would most definitely be near the very top. On itunes I literally have every song and the play count is outrageously high. No matter what kind of day I am having, I can find a Beatles song to capture my mood and emotions. Maybe it might sound cliche to be enthralled with a band which is so timeless and so well-known but I was brought up with the Beatles not merely as a favorite music group but as a philosophy, a way of life. Pretty intense. So when I found out that a Beatles cover band was going to be playing at Santa Fe, there wasn't going to be anything to stop me from going, not even my resolution to not spend money this week. Tickets were $15 but well worth every cent. What contributed the most to the overall awesomeness of the night was that I was with my friends. I get along really well with a good amount of people on my floor and have become very close with them. My friends that were there last night were ones that I always have fun with. Throughout the night we weren't always together but we ran into each other in passing. At the end of the night, when the band was wrapping up their set and most people had left, my group all found each other. The very last song: Hey Jude. It was all of us, up by the stage, belting out every word and dancing to the feeling of the music, especially to the chorus... "na na na nanananaaaa, nanananaaa hey jude!". This probably sounds over emotional but I took myself out of the moment just for a second and realized how lucky I was to be where I was. Not that I was in a run down College Park bar with a drug bust occurring outside at the same time, but that I was having a great time with great people. In a way the song was a manifestation of our camaraderie, all that we have been through so far at school and all that is to come. On the bus on the way home we couldn't help but belt out the chorus one more time, starting quietly and then building up strength as everyone joined in... yea we were those people.

No comments: